Juno is Awesome, Honest to Blog! ~ News, Politics and Anything Else I Want to Say

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Juno is Awesome, Honest to Blog!

I watched Juno this weekend and it was great! All the Oscar buzz is well deserved. There were at least 2 trailers for it shown every day during The Daily Show last week which really sparked my interest. Plus, it has Michael Cera as one of the stars, who I have admired since Arrested Development (the most under appreciated show ever). The first scene is really funny with Rainn Wilson (aka Dwight Schrute) and really gets you into the movie quickly.

It wasn't really laugh out loud funny but then movies that are laugh out loud funny aren't nearly as good as a comedy of wit. I do wonder though, do kids these days really talk like this? I think not...
Juno: I'm pregnant.
Leah: What? Honest to blog?
Juno: Yeah, yeah, it's Bleaker's.
Leah: It's probably just a food baby. Did you have a big lunch?
Juno: No, this is not a food baby alright? I've taken like three pregnancy tests, and I'm forshizz up the spout.
Leah: How did you even generate enough pee for three pregnancy tests? That's amazing.
Juno: I don't know, I drank like, ten tons of Sunny D... Anyway dude, I'm telling you I'm pregnant and you're acting shockingly caviler.
Leah: Is this for real? Like for real, for real?
Juno: Unfortunately, yes.
Leah: Oh my god, Oh Shit! Phuket, Thailand!
Juno: There we go. That was kind of the emotion I was searching for on the first take.

My favorite part of the film though turns out to be the soundtrack. The song on the opening credits, All I Want Is You, is one of those fun little romantic songs like When I'm Sixty-Four, except this one was originally written as a kids song by Barry Louis Polisar, you know, like TMBG. Nice work Barry!

I really like all the music by Kimya Dawson (never heard of her before) and who can go wrong with Cat Power? She only has 1 song on the soundtrack but, man, the raw emotion in Chan Marshall's (Cat Power) voice gets me choked up sometimes, regardless of the words. I wish she would record and release a full version of the cover of Cat Steven's "How Can I Tell You" that she did for that diamond commercial.

So enjoy the trailer and go see the film if you haven't yet!


Cool, I noticed Cat Power has a new album, Jukebox, that came out today! Go check that out too.

No comments: