New Years Resolutions and Stress ~ News, Politics and Anything Else I Want to Say

Thursday, January 3, 2008

New Years Resolutions and Stress

I think New Years Resolutions are kind of stupid. Why wait until January 1st to start getting your act together? I am not one to bash those who make resolutions though because I am one of you too.

I have been pretty stressed out since getting back to work after the holidays. I have so very little motivation to do anything. I put off a few things I wanted and needed to get done until after the holidays and now they are here and I still don't want to do them. Somethings I never wanted to do in the first place, which is why I procrastinated, but others I just didn't have time to do. Now I am swampped and stressed.

Another source of my stress is my weight. I feel uncomfortably fat. My weight has been creeping up there a lot since the middle of 2007. Over the holidays, I rationalized gorging and put off doing something about it even longer, fooling myself into thinking it didn't matter what I ate or how lazy I was because starting in 2008, I was going to get my act together. I am the heaviest I have ever been and would like to see my weight at 30-40 pounds less than it is now. Oh where are you willpower?!

As if having all this built up stuff to do and changes in my life that I need to make isn't enough, new things to do are coming in at the same time which is even more overwhelming because it makes it hard to finish all the old crap. My ideal solution of course is to just forget about it and put it off until tomorrow or next week. That is how I got where I am now though.

So starting right now I am going to make some changes:
  • Finish what I am doing before starting on something new
  • Stop eating like the only way to find nourishment is at a fast food place or eating like I am at a buffet for every meal, and then track my eating and weight
  • Get myself to the gym and/or pool and take the dog for longer walks
  • Stop doing things that aren't worth my time (this is a hard one)
  • Early to bed, early to rise... (and earlier to work)
Some of the best advise a friend gave me once was to take care of yourself first because when you don't you are worthless and can't take care of anything else. That is where I am now. Swapped, stressed, overweight and not doing enough about it. But I am going to start taking care of myself.

No comments: