The First Ever Fayetteville, NC Tweetup ~ News, Politics and Anything Else I Want to Say

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The First Ever Fayetteville, NC Tweetup

I've only been on Twitter for about 5 months now. I resisted for a while because I really didn't see the point. Since then I have used Twitter daily as a news source from distant and not so distant friends, people in my community, things that interest me and even breaking national and world news.

Since moving to Fayetteville, NC about a month and a half ago, I have used Twitter even more to find people in the area and to be in the know of what is going on. I first tried Meetup.com but there aren't many meetups that I find very interesting in the area. The biggest one is actually the Naturism meetup which I quickly discovered was not a group for outdoor adventures like hiking/camping/etc. as I initially thought and hoped.

So back to the point of this post. Last night was the first ever Fayetteville Tweetup. I had a great time meeting all the complete strangers I had been having short conversations with for weeks and who I felt I already sort of knew. I really didn't know what to expect when I got there but Tiffani, the organizer of the event, had a little presentation about the history of social media that got us all talking. I have to say, I talked A LOT more than I thought I would. I am generally really shy so I don't know what got into me. This was of course before I knew Wayne Sutton was streaming video of the presentation live. Eek. Fortunately you can barely hear me.

It was nice to have a discussion with like minded people. This is also the first time I have really used the internet to physically meet new people. I don't think that I was afraid of it before, I just never had the need before. Being in a brand new place, working from home and only interacting my my wife and dog on a daily basis is great but I still need people to hang out with (and a disc golf partner(s)). Hopefully some tighter friendships will form from last night and upcoming Fayetteville Tweeptups. I plan to pick some brains about RoR, blogging, other geek stuff and invite myself to go rock climbing in the coming weeks and months fellow tweeps. :-)

And for more thoughts, check out some other blog posts about the event last night:
(Picture credit to Wayne Sutton, snagged from here)

No comments: