Looking for free online storage for your blog? ~ News, Politics and Anything Else I Want to Say

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Looking for free online storage for your blog?

Today I needed to share a file on one of my blogs. A quick search showed a ton of potential sites but very few met my exact requirements. First, I wanted something free. Many of the sites are cheap but few have a free plan. I really only need a few hundred MB at most anyway. I also wanted something that I could share files with anyone without a password and also anonymously would be nice. Many of the sites were more backup oriented which wouldn't work for me either. I used this guide, The Online Storage Gang, at TechCrunch to help me.

The only real solutions left I found were xdrive owned by AOL now and The Link Up. I never was able to get an account setup on xdrive thanks to almost no available usernames and crazy password restrictions. I think The Link Up will work well for me though. They offer 2GB free and 25GB for $5.95 per month (I think). Their site is low on information. Check out a screen shot of some of the options:


Honestly though, I think the best solution would be to use Amazon S3 but I am still just looking for something very, very cheap (read free). Maybe if my blog ever gets big enough (I doubt it will, I don't have that much time for it) then I will use that.

And another note, I should have looked at dropfiles. I've used dropload before but it is no longer functioning. Lifehacker has some file sharing suggestions too.

2 comments:

Outsideshot said...

I've spent a lot of time thinking about this question - you might want to check out ElephantDrive too.

Curious how the Link Up works out. They used to be Streamload/MediaMax, which had a lot of problems, supposedly they've improved over time.

Amharican said...

On the subject of file backup, sharing and storage ...

Online backup is becoming common these days. It is estimated that 70-75% of all PC's will be connected to online backup services with in the next decade.

Thousands of online backup companies exist, from one guy operating in his apartment to fortune 500 companies.

Choosing the best online backup company will be very confusing and difficult. One website I find very helpful in making a decision to pick an online backup company is:

http://www.BackupReview.info

This site lists more than 400 online backup companies in its directory and ranks the top 25 on a monthly basis.